Monday, June 9, 2014

Update--Still here!

I know it's been quite a while (2 weeks? almost a month? something like that) since I posted anything here. It's not for a lack of ideas, I assure you, more due to a lack of time.

May seems to always be a bit of a crazy month for us. There's my insanity with end of the semester grading. Someone always seems to graduate, some  unforeseen event occurs and the transition to summer seems to take up a lot of time.

In mid May we took a long weekend and went up North to see my sister graduate college, summa cum laude and with more honors than I can remember. She had enough colorful ropes around her neck to tie back a house full of drapes or hogtie someone. We are, needless to say, incredibly proud of and happy for her. Not surprised, because she's just that kind of person, but still proud and happy.

Then she came and visited us, and for the first time since we came to NC she didn't have to help us move! For the 3 years previous, she had come down to help us move 1) to NC 2) from our first apartment to our second much nicer apartment or 3) paint our new house.  It was lovely to just be able to do sister-y things, like trying new restaurants, go shopping and hang out.

Big things are happening around our house. We finally got a new dishwasher to replace the one that had finally given up the ghost after 25 years back in March, and the new windows to replace the ones that are rotting out upstairs will be installed next week. We're hopefully going to finish all the repair work from last fall's adventure in faulty plumbing in the next few months. We might, fingers crossed, have the house ship-shape by fall.

Research is going fantastically. I even discovered that at some point last fall, I had done most of the work for project, which is like a time traveling gift to myself.

I have a lot of blog posts lined up for the rest of summer, so hopefully things are settling down now and I'll find time to write in the evenings more.



No comments: