Sunday, September 29, 2013

Easy Tortilla Pizza

Saturdays have long been pizza nights with us. In college, it was a nice break from dining hall food. In married life, it was a night I didn't have to wonder if I had the ingredients to make something inventive. Even in my early days of insulin resistance, a pepperoni pizza, extra pepperoni, was low glycemic index enough that I could enjoy it. Now if we order in, I just eat the toppings (thank you chain pizzas with unlimited topping deals).

Some weekends though, I go the extra step and make our own. Homemade pizza is insanely simple to begin with, especially if you have a stand mixer or a food processor for making normal pizza dough. Of course, I can't have the normal pizza dough, so until I find a good low carb flour that acts like flour, I've fallen back on something I learned in childhood--the tortilla pizza.

I think I first learned to do this from one of those 90s kid shows that focused on doing stuff, and not melting our brains with hyper symplified topics (Cyberchase anyone?). Instead of using pizza dough for the crust, you use a large size tortilla, and then build the rest of your pizza like you normally would. It creates a super thin, crisp crust that while not entirely pizza like, is a much better crust than anything with cauliflower (sorry fellow low carbers, but there is no member of the cabbage family that belongs anywhere near my pizza).

Fortunately, there is a brand of low carb tortillas sold at my local megamart (mostly oat fiber and stuff like that), and so I expect in most grocery store. From a base such as this, you can get as fancy or as easy as you please. Last night, I chose easy, because I could. Top with canned tomato sauce, add some spices to make it taste like pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella (I like the part-skim for this because there isn't as much crust to absorb the extra oil), and toppings to taste (I like pepperoni, mushrooms and banana peppers). I like putting a little of the cheese over the toppings to hold them on).
Pizza before I added toppings. Tin foil or parchment paper makes clean up easier.
 Then it goes into a 425 degree (F) oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Let it sit a moment before cutting into wedges, and eating as normal. Enjoy!

~PhysicsGal

No comments: