Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The best anti-anxiety: a loving dog

I'm not a laid back person, if you couldn't tell yet. I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm stressed.

A lot of my old stress relief (chocolate, bread, chocolate in bread, among other things) are now no longer options. My favorite bar (with wine and warm chocolate) and best friend  are in completely different states.

What I have is a small, energetic dog (Penny) who wants nothing more, it seems, than to cuddle with me, lick my face and take walks around our quiet neighborhood (also, car rides, but those are less frequent). And she is weirdly in tune with my moods, and is marvelously forgiving when I am in a truly horrible mood.

This morning, I was in a horrible mood. I was in a murderous, panicky, run-away, I-will-strangle-the-next-person-who-talks-to-me mood. I took Penny for a walk, like I always do before I head to work.

She is the most exuberant little thing. She walks along beside you and then jumps after a cricket, and then comes back. She smells the wind, and then just grins at you. Two miles of this, I was, if not zen, calm enough to smile when my students walked into the classroom.

God bless little dogs.

No comments: