Wednesday, February 19, 2014

5th Semester TA Enthusiasm Running Low

I love teaching. I love interacting with students. I love sharing knowledge in a setting where no one looks at me weird for explaining how old-style CRT TVs or MRIs work and why your microwave can't give you cancer (but could cook you if you got into one of the industrial ones) but the tanning bed can't cook you, but can give you cancer. I love encouraging students towards those ah-ha moments and deeper insights into the world. 

I'm also feeling a little burned out right now when it comes to teaching. This semester has been particularly bad in the getting-off-schedule department, because trying to coordinate between 4 teachers is hard enough without adding snow days to the mix. One of my classes is in a squashed, overcrowded classroom in the boondocks of campus (from my perspective, centered on the far reaches of the grad campus); the chalkboard there is 8 inches higher than standard, which means I have about half a chalkboard to work with, which because of angles is only visible to half the class at any given time, and there is a creepy diorama in the corner. I have an unusual concentration of mechanical engineers, who really do not care a bit about electric fields. I also have a crop of students who came untrained in the art of taking in-class weekly tests, so grading is more frustrating than usual.

Does any of this diminish my desire to be a teacher after graduation? 

No, not really. But it does make me long for smaller class sizes, and being in control of things like textbook choice, and schedule. Working with 1 other person would be fine. Trying to work with 3 in an insanely complicated schedule is exhausting (no one seems to actually know when the students are supposed to do what assignments, for example). 

Mostly it makes me long for days when I tutored, and could concentrate on teaching to a specific understanding and not the near-lowest common denominator. If I could start a from-home tutoring business I would almost be happiest, I think. But I am not charismatic enough to go build a customer base. 

I think this will get better as we move towards midterms and some of the students make the final decision to drop the class, and we get into we-must-stay-on-schedule mode. 

In the mean time, I'll just have to keep calm and teach on. 

~AMPH

No comments: