Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Some days, I love my grocery store.

In general, I am happy with my grocery store. I could wish for a larger selection of meats, and occasionally fresher produce and I can certainly wish they would not store the onions right next to the potatoes. But it provides high quality, low cost store brands that make my grew-up-in-a-high-cost-of-living-area heart sing. Unbleached flour for $1.67?  Sign me up! It's not quite Meijer, where I could get everything and everything for a song, but it's darn close for groceries.

But mostly I love it because they occasionally do ridiculous sales on things I use. Like today's "Buy 2, Get 3 Free" on coffee. Yes, that is not a typo. If you buy 2 pounds of coffee, you can get 3 free. Three! We go through coffee at the rate of a pound or so a week, so this is fantastic. I'm going to measure the space in my pantry and go buy as much as I can store.

Also, Entenmann's! Growing up, their crumb cakes, apple puffs, donuts, danish and eclairs filled a sizable portion of my grandma's deep freeze at any given time, and filled a sizable portion of my stomach whenever I visited. While I have grown up to appreciate that none of these things are high cuisine, I still love them all and buy up their coffee cakes and danish (the only things we get down here) whenever they show up. And when they are 2-for-1, its irresistible.

This is why I love my grocery store.

And why I never end up walking out with just that gallon of milk I went in for.

No comments: