Thursday, August 1, 2013

Finding my Courage

If you looked at this blog when it was first posted vs. now (post August 1, 2013), you may have noticed that the tagline changed from being a blog "mainly about physics and food" to being about "physics, food and faith". If so, you may wonder about the change.

The fact of the matter is, that is what I wanted this blog to originally be. And then I chickened out. Why? I don't know. Its not like I've ever been particularly shy about my faith. Even in my heavily atheistic department, I've never been shy about it or avoided conversation about the consequences of my faith. So why did I balk online?

The only thing I can think is that I was afraid that by doing so I would offend one or the other demographic. Most of the scientists I know are not particularly open to faith. And while a good portion of the Christians I know are math and science types, I know that is abnormal. But the whole thing is ridiculous. First of all, at the moment no one seems to read my blog except website bots and I don't think I can offend them. Secondly, this is exactly the kind of thing I feel is needed. 

So I will say it explicitly. I am a Christian. I have always felt drawn to God as long as I can remember and I committed myself to Christ when I was 11. I have also always been drawn to science, and physics in particular. I went to college with the intention to go to seminary to be a pastor. I came out with a physics degree and am studying for a PhD in singular optics. I find no opposition between these two aspects of my life, nor do I hold them in separate compartments. 

I do not know how frequently I will post about my faith. But I want to be able to do so without it seeming like a sidebar or a divergence. And I'm not sorry if that offends anyone, just as I do not apologize for being a scientist.

~PhysicsGal

No comments: