Thursday, August 22, 2013

When Teaching is Reviving

Some days, like Tuesday, teaching is exhausting. Trying to lead the horse to water and make it drink and understand what its drinking. Prodding other tired, reluctant people to interact with me. Trying to make difficult topics easily understandable.

Then there are days like today that remind me why I love teaching. Classes that as a whole are willing to work with you. The handful of students sprinkled throughout who really want to learn and participate in their learning. I had students answer questions correctly that I had never had students answer before. Two of the students inspired me after class to come up with a new way to describe things that seemed to help them and several other students understand. These are the kind of days I love.

Its days like these that keep me going even on the days when I am just so bone tired and anxious and not at all in the mood to stand in front of 35 people and try to get them to comprehend a small slice of the workings of the universe. Its days like these that even when I walk into the classroom in an absolutely terrible mood, I leave feeling 10 pounds lighter and happy.

I honestly don't understand my colleagues who hate doing TAs (teacher assisting). The four classes I teach are the best part of my semester.

No comments: