Friday, December 20, 2013

Master Present Wrapper

Every year as I wrap presents for Christmas, I think of my sister and marvel. While I am usually good with three dimensional geometry, making my own knitting patterns and dress patterns, she is the gift-wrap extraordinaire. I mean this quite seriously. She was able to run a side business in Christmases past wrapping people's presents for them.

Don't get me wrong, I can wrap presents and they will come out looking decent. I'm miles above my husband in wrapping skills, for example.

But my sister makes the gift wrap ladies at high end department stores look like amateurs. Her folds are perfectly straight and symmetric. There are no errant wrinkles. This is made more impressive by the fact that she does not require tape.

It all started with our granny and our aunt, daughter of said granny. They reuse wrapping paper, which is a fine, green endeavor as far as it goes, but slowly, carefully slitting tape significantly slows things down at a family Christmas party. Our first lesson in present wrapping was "do not wrap in tissue paper".

My sister took it one step further. She just dispensed with the tape and wrapped presents with paper and ribbon and they still looked better than mine.

Needless to say, every year I try to live up to her exemplar wrapping skills. Or get her to wrap presents for me.

~AMPH

No comments: