Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Teaching Milestone: A Rate My Professor Page

I have prided myself, after I got my first semester of teaching student feedback, on being a good teacher. Not a great teacher by any means. But I know the material, I prepare for class and I try to help the students as much as I can. Which is apparently going above and beyond the call of duty for a TA (and some profs) at my university.

My student reviews are generally favorable, with the occasional "She goes to quickly" complaint, which I ignore because I give students several 15 second counts on each problem to speak up. They rarely do. They typically go something along the lines of "She knows the material and cares about the students. She does a great job teaching". Occasionally I get one where the student was clearly...not all together there. I once had a full page going on about how the student sat in the back and dreamt of strawberries. And occasionally I get cool compliments. Last spring one of my students wrote that I was, quote "one awesome motherfunction". Yes, motherfunction. Verbatim.

Last week, I discovered that one of my students had gone the extra step and created a "Rate My Professor" page for me (I'm not officially a professor, but that has never really stopped them from referring to me as such). I was given the following rating



This is pretty much the ideal rating. For those who are not familiar with this site, it is usually used as a means for students unhappy with their grades to tear a professor down. So not only am I happy with my rating, but I'm thrilled that a student enjoyed my class enough to make me a page. 

You will note the chili-pepper rating. Thanks to that, my sister has insisted that I change my name from PhysicsGal to Awesome Motherfunction Physics Hottie (AMPH). 

This made my week. 

~Awesome Motherfunction Physics Hottie

No comments: