Monday, January 13, 2014

Comtesse au Chocolat

Yesterday, I set out to make Julia Child's "Marquis au Chocolat" cake. It looked insanely delicious, even in black and white, and everything she demonstrated seemed well within my capabilities, even if not quite as adroitly as she.

Everything was going swimmingly. I made the chocolate spongecake, safely de-panned it and cooled it without disaster. Then I listened more carefully to her instructions for the first layer of icing, and realized that I did not have NEARLY enough butter to finish the recipe. The first layer of butter cream called for half a pound alone.

So I decided to improvise, and I whipped up a batch of think ganache, at about 3.5 parts heavy cream to 5 parts semi-sweet chocolate. After it cooled and thickened a bit, I smoothed it over the cake.

It is decadent. It is delicious. It is chocolatey and satisfying in a small slice. It is shiney.


It's a single layer, which I actually think I like better than the taller cakes I'm used to. And the icing is not thick, but what it lacks in bulk it makes up for in lusciousness.


Yes, it gleams that much in real life. Over all it's kind of like a cake, a brownie, and a truffle in one package. It hits all the right notes, without being over the top like some 'death by chocolate' cakes.


This is kinda what it would look like if you can wait to cut into it.

This recipe is definitely a keeper. Since it is not quite the Marquis au Chocolat, but would certainly satisfy any woman's chocolate cravings, I'm dubbing it the Comtesse au Chocolat. It seems fitting.

Cake~Julia Child's "Marquis au Chocolat" sponge cake recipe
Icing~ 180 g heavy cream, heated to simmer and poured over 260 g semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir until melted, cool until the consistency of thin whipped cream, and ice cake.

Enjoy!

~AMPH


No comments: