Thursday, January 16, 2014

Teaching, the first week

Thursday is my most tiring day of the week. Physically, I have to travel farther to teach, and this semester I have an unusually high chalkboard in one of the classrooms (I am just over 5 feet tall, and this one is at least 6 inches higher than standard, so I can reach about 2/3 of it if I strain). But more than that, I have two groups of lively and engaged students.

Please note that I encourage this kind of behavior. But it does keep me on my toes and force me to think on my feet, fast and well. Students ask questions I had never considered, or had never thought of in that way. And since I have garnered a bit of a reputation as a good TA, I have expectations to uphold!

Its exhilarating while I'm up there. I love teaching, I love my subject, and I love my students. I can't wait for the day when this is what I do, and not just a means to an end. There are honestly few other things that make me feel that alive and happy.

But it is also draining. I put a lot of effort in before I walk into the classroom, but that isn't tiring. And I don't mind the grading. But pouring that much enthusiasm, and I can't be anything but enthusiastic with physics, is tiring.

This is going to be a good semester.

~AMPH

No comments: