Thursday, January 2, 2014

My New Year's Resolution

For the most part, I don't do New Year's Resolutions. If you want to change something, I don't see the point in waiting for January 1st to roll around.

This year though, my desire for change and the New Year coincided. So my resolution is to keep a tidier kitchen. I would eventually like to have an overall tidier house, but one room at a time.

So, I started with my pantry.




Yes, those are labels. I have two modes--obsessively labeled and therefore organized, and I-know-which-pile-it's-in. I have usually invoked the first in my duties with other people--as librarian, teacher, researcher--while using the second in my private life. I would like to move towards the organization, with maybe a little more leeway of other people. I am a fierce choir librarian, man.

The shelves of my pantry are not uniform in their appearance to bear loads. So I put lighter things on the less-sturdy looking shelves. The above the fold picture is of the sturdy shelves, with the heavies things (canned goods) on the best supported shelf.


Everything now has a clearly defined location. From pasta types...


to pasta sauces...


to all those little things you need for baking that I mislay constantly...


Everything now has a place. The cards are temporary. Once I am satisfied with the locations and spacing, I will reline the shelves (which are just painted rough boards) and make proper labels for them. 

Its a step in the right direction at least. 

No comments: