Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My kitchen is missing its ceiling...

because the master bathroom's shower was poorly designed and now that it is 25 years old developed very small cracks in the grout which let water build up in the pan until it over-flowed and flooded my upstairs carpet and then my kitchen ceiling all in 48 horrible hours. 

It all started Saturday night as I was going to bed, and the carpet under a runner in the hall outside our bedroom door felt...squishy. Underneath, it was soaking wet. It was too late to call a plumber/the home warranty company, so I called as soon as I could Sunday morning. At this point there was just water in the upstair's carpet. I felt the kitchen ceiling--no signs of wetness/softness. Plumber diagnosed a problem with the shower basin, said we needed a restoration company/contractor,  not a plumber. So I called the insurance company, filed a claim, got the ball rolling to have an adjustor come out and assess the damage so a restoration company could take care of the (then seemingly minimal) damage.

All the water, as of Sunday night. 
 I left Monday morning, and everything seemed hunky-dory. The upstair's subflooring looked like it was drying, we weren't using the guilty shower, everything should be fine.

I came home to this
Approximately 3 ft in diameter, and has a tail that runs to the wall.
 and about two gallons of water on my floor, and a sodden kitchen island. I quickly mopped up the floor, got a bowl under the dripp, called the insurance company to tell them of the new development, the warranty company to send a new plumber, and after getting some help from a neighbor shut off the water supply to the house (it's out by the street. Never would have occurred to me to look there) tried to assess the damage. Ceiling squishy and wet. Upstairs no wetter.

Plumber came out, confirmed the first one's opinion, but with more detail. There are tiny, tiny cracks in the grout (which is not waterproof, I learned) which were letting water pool in the pan beneath, which had finally hit capacity and started to overflow. No way for us to know until it ran over.

Insurance company sent out water damage control people that evening to clean up and try to dry everything out. They started out trying to conserve as much as they could

 
 Ended up having to revise that plan when the dry wall just kept bending and collapsing.

That's a good 25-30% of my kitchen ceiling gone, and its still dripping/dusty.

Then they  set up a squadron of industrial blowers and dehumidifiers upstairs and down. 




There's another 2 that you can't see here.
 They are really loud, and they need to be going 24/7 until everything dries out. It sounds like a wind tunnel. Its pretty constant, which lets us sleep, but it is wearing, and Penny is terrified of them.

Dear Universe, when I said I wanted to redo the kitchen and the shower, I didn't mean right now.
 

No comments: