Thursday, November 7, 2013

Shower Saga, Part 1

Technically, this should be part 2 with part one here, but I didn't want to go back and change the post. 

Our ceiling is still dripping (the grout in the shower pan is acting like a giant sponge, slowly releasing its water), so our house is still full of dehumidifiers and blowers, which are starting to make it very warm, because they have been running so long. We finally got the insurance adjuster to come, and the good news is they will cover everything but the shower. I did my best to argue for it, but in the end I think it will be ok because instead of sending work crews, they send a check that covers fair market price for all the work they agree needs doing, which in this case includes the cost of professionals completely repainting my downstairs ceiling. We just finished painting it, and a relatively small section was damaged, so once the dry-wall people fix the hole, I don't think it would be too terrible to just repaint that section myself, and put the money to a new shower. 

A friend at school was able to recommend a 'good and reasonable' tile guy through a friend of his father-in-law (sometimes I love the South. Everyone has Connections). He'll come and bust out our shower base on Sunday, and when we decide what to do with the shower replacement I'm 99% sure I'll go with him. Finally things are moving towards the repaired stage of things. 


While I definitely wish that this had NOT happened right now, I am looking on the bright side, and I am learning a lot. Hopefully we can keep moving slowly but surely on this, and get it resolved quickly. 

No comments: