Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ever have one of those days...

when everyone who knows you looks at you in confusion and pity?

I was not up to my usual form today. I'm still exhausted from the written qualifier, and desperately mustering my resources to study and conquer the oral qualifier. I got a bit of leaf in my eye on Sunday and so my eye is irritated and so I'm wearing my glasses, which I never wear and are out of date. My hair has been terrible since I had to start washing my hair one handed. It was cool and I was lazy so I wore my awesome geeky physics sweatshirt, which is huge on me. I'm-wearing-my-husband's-sweatshirt huge.
I'm not good at selfies...

Now, I'm not usually a high-fashion Pollyanna. I could not care less what Milan says I should be wearing this year. I usually wear full floor/ankle length, handmade dresses and skirts, with plain knit or tee shirts, but I look nice and I usually get compliments. My hair is usually frizzy/wavy, but its nicely pulled back and pretty. I can be  a cynical snarky person, but I am usually pleasant and friendly if I run into you.

Pretty much every conversation went something like this. *confused look as they approach* "You look different" I'm wearing my glasses *actually get close* "You look/[sound] exhausted. How'd the qualifier go?"

And then they would walk away to leave me to my misery.

I started teaching magnetism today. This is usually the best time of the semester for anecdotes. The unit for magnetism is the Tesla. You can easily get a good 10 minutes discussion of Tesla. MRIs, the weakness of the earth's magnetic field, the inefficacy of those magnetic wrist bands, there's tons of cool stuff for me to babble about and flesh out even the most untalkative classes.

Today? Got nothing. Mentioned earth's magnetic field, mentioned MRIs. Took maybe two minutes total. My students starting giving me looks of pity I was so clearly out of form.

Hopefully I can pull myself together before Friday. This is not how I want to convince my professors I am worthy to be their colleague in 4 years.

No comments: