Sunday, October 6, 2013

Apple Butter Muffins

When I woke up this morning, I wanted muffins. It happens, especially on the weekends. As I puttered around making coffee, I decided that what I really wanted was applesauce muffins, like my mom used to make. But I didn't have apple sauce, and I didn't have her recipe, which I couldn't use anyway since it would use white flour. Time to be inventive.

I didn't feel like dealing with the fussiness of my totally-from-scratch muffin recipe. I decided to gamble on retrofitting the muffin recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and use some apples-only apple butter I had in the fridge as both the apple sauce and the sugar.

This is what it produced:

Hello, delicious

It produced a muffin that did not collapse. That had the texture of a muffin. That had the taste of an applesauce muffin, without any sugar or artificial sweetner. That browned nicely.

Most importantly, it produced a muffin that my husband continued to eat through out the day to the point when I had to ask him to leave me some for breakfast tomorrow. I made a dozen. There are 2 1/2 left. Most were eaten by my husband who hate healthy hippie food. THAT, my dear readers, is called success. 

Apple Butter Muffins
1 2/3 cup fine oat flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened apple butter
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, beat eggs. Add apple butter, milk and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Form a well in the dry goods,  pour the wet into the dry and whisk thoroughly to combine (overbeating is less a concern with oat flour). The batter is going to be thin. Ladle into greased or lined muffin tins, and let sit a minimum of 20 minutes (you can easily make this the night before, and just pop into the oven when you get up). Bake in a 350 F oven for 30-40 minutes, until muffins are springy to the touch and a toothpick comes out cleanly. Let sit 10 minutes before eating.


No comments: