Friday, October 4, 2013

Jogging, Day 3

Today completes my first week of jogging. Yay!

I confess, I almost didn't try to day. It was hot. I was tired. My legs were still a little sore from Wednesday and walking 6 miles in the heat yesterday. "I'll do it Saturday" I tried to tell myself. "No you wont." myself countered. "You're painting the last bathroom, and there is no way you'll want to do it after that. Plus, it'll feel good. And maybe," here's the kicker "you could have a little bit of bread"

The first advantage to having PCOS-insulin resistance that I have found. I get to see *immediate* results from aerobic exercise. Exercise temporarily increasing your insulin sensitivity, and the effect, at least in early studies in non-obese subjects, is roughly quadrupled if you are on what researchers call a 'carbohydrate deprived diet' (aka, low carb). Not only does the sensitivity increase, but the length of time the effect lasts increases. Not too shabby. Early data for me would seem to suggest that even the relatively puny amount of aerobic exercise I'm doing now increasing my sensitivity enough that I can add one small, low glycemic load carb back on the day I run. I'm talking a toddler sized portion of something like beans or barley. But you know what? I'll take it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but wouldn't it be nice if it meant I could indulge every now and then?

Anyway, I put on my running skirt and my running shoes, grabbed Penny's leash and we were off. I waited until the sun was dipping below most of the tree tops, so we could at least run in the shade. I was expecting my legs to burn. For every inch to be a struggle.

But it shockingly wasn't. I wasn't quite as smooth as I was Monday, and it was hard on the last push, but it was actually enjoyable. I didn't have to think so hard about breathing or how to do it. Penny has started to figure out that 'jog' means 'walk twice as fast, don't bolt', and to go in a straight line, not try to circle back to me. So I didn't have to worry about tripping over her, and she didn't get stepped on. And now I am writing this blog post and she is enjoying lying in the grass outside. I think jogging will work out well for the both of us.

No comments: