Sunday, October 13, 2013

The many uses of honey: Use 21-Burns

You'll have to forgive any typos--I'm temporarily down a hand. In the course of cooking dinner I forgot that the handle of the pan that I had just taken out of a 425 F oven (with a pot holder) was hot, and managed to get 2nd degree burns on my left middle and ring fingers. For the record, it *hurts* when you burn yourself to the point it blisters immediately. Perversely, if I had ignored my instincts and held it a few more seconds, I'd have 3rd degree burns but no pain. So now my fingers are covered in honey and gauze and duct tape. 
By Scott Bauer, USDA ARS [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Honey is an amazing substance. Its the only foodstuff manufactured by animals, and that we can't make ourselves. Its sweeter than sugar, and its uses are still being fully explored, and most of its traditional uses have been borne out by science (in sharp contrast to most things homeopaths tout). But of particular use to me is its anti-septic and wound healing properties at the moment. Research suggests that, unlike its more commonly used cohort aloe vera, it can speed healing of burns. I always have lots of it on hand anyway for...everything. 

Ditto gauze and duct tape. Seriously, why buy bandaids in a variety of sizes when you can buy a box of gauze pads and a roll of duct tape and make exactly the size you need? Duct tape also sticks better, and has a million and one other uses. 

The only downside I have found to using honey is that Penny really, really wants to lick my fingers. Fortunately for me, my wonderful husband, besides helping me with things that need two hands, is keeping her otherwise occupied. 

At least its my non-dominant hand. I'll still be able to write out my qualifying exam on Friday!

~PhysicsGal

No comments: